Catfish consumption is widely accepted and frying is my new found way of enjoying catfish. It makes it meatier and sweeter but seriously, consumes lot of oil. Regardless of the taste, catfish consumption should be in a healthy way.
Catfish, characterized by two to four pairs of whiskers or barbels around their mouth giving them the name is a widely farmed and consumed fish specie. They are slender bodies with smooth naked skin.
Catfish is popularly reared in most countries although with restrictions in a few countries. They are found in the wild and can be locally cultivated in ponds.
The wild variety of catfish is more nutritious, healthy and delicious than the locally farmed catfish variety reared in freshwater.
Being aquatic animals, quality water is needed to sustain them and reared to maximize profit. The pond or tank should have water channels in and out. A catfish farming can be started with 20- 50 fingerlings or juveniles.
Catfish Consumption And Preparation
Catfish is prepared in several ways such as grilling, smoking, frying, drying, and in pepper soups etc. depending on individual’s choice. It is a major source of protein for man and the offals used as supplements in livestock feeds.
In Nigeria, catfish consumption is high as it is a delicacy served in restaurants, bars, lounge and hotels as peppersoup, peppered catfish, grilled, baked, barbeque, etc. Although served at anytime of the day, it is more consumed in the evenings.
Smoked catfish are added to soups such vegetable soups, pepper sauce and even used for pepper soups. Let’s checkout some of catfish recipes:
Catfish pepper soup is a popular delicacy in Nigeria, with consumers preferring the cool time of the day to enjoy it with chilled drinks.
It is mostly referred to as point and kill, simply because people point to the exact live one they want prepared for them; it is killed and prepared as desired.
Some people prefer to take catfish pepper soup with solid pap ( Eko inu ewe), and some with boiled over ripe plantain all served with choice of chilled drinks.
- Red pepper
- Scent leaves
- Pepper s`oup spices
- Seasoning cubes
- Locust beans (optional)
- Fish seasonings
- Crayfish (optional)
- Wash catfish with either salt or hot water till the slime as been completely removed. Cut fish into sizes, remove offals and place fish in a clean pot.
- Pour just enough water to cover the fish. Add your chopped onions, pepper, seasoning and salt to taste, bring to boil.
- After about 15 minutes, add fish seasoning and crayfish depending on your taste, some people also add locust beans.
- Check the taste and add scent leaves with freshly chopped onions. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- The peppersoup should be served slightly hot.
This catfish consumption method is preferred by younger people. The catfish prepared over naked fire from a local charcoal grill. The fish is pre-seasoned or marinated prior to grilling. The oil from the fish drops into the fire letting out a little smoke that envelops the fish.
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Lemon juice
- Melted butter
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Fresh tomatoes with fresh pepper
- Salt and seasoning for taste
- Catfish is pre-washed and cut bilaterally to add seasoning and spices. Bones are removed in some cases leaving fillet.
- Coat a basket with cooking spray, place the fish in the grilling basket.
Place catfish fillets of fish in the baskets.
- Mix lemon juice, butter, and lemon pepper seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Brush the fillets with butter mixture, and brush the fillets with other mixture.
- Chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, and pepper are put in between together with salt and seasonings.
- Spice and other seasonings are robbed on the body of the fish, you can wrap it with a foil paper.
- Place the basket on the grill and cover. Set your coals with a medium heat and grill your fish. Turn it from side to side to avoid been burnt.
- You can serve your grill fish with mashed potatoes or any other tubers.
Nutritional Benefits Of Catfish
Fish are excellent sources of protein and an alternative to red meats. Catfish however has omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
Omega 6 increases level of inflammation of the body raising cautions in catfish consumption especially in people with cardiovascular disorders.
It contain minerals and vitamins including low calories -105, high in protein-18grams, rich in omega-3 oil, omega-6 fatty acids, potassium, cholesterol, thiamine, selenium.
Some of the health benefit of catfish consumption:
- It is highly proteinous which aids growth and development of body muscles. It also help to repair damaged cells and hormone.
- Contains omega 3 fatty acids which boost the skeletal muscles strength, it also aids in mental and neurological treatment, research made it known that omega 3-fatty acid can’t be synthesis in the human body, the source is only rooted to the human diet.
- Vitamin B-12 improve our mental health and protect the heart against diseases.
- It also helps to decrease weight gain.
Despite the numerous nutritional benefit of catfish, it should be taken with caution. Too much consumption of catfish has an adverse effect to our health.
Potential Dangers Of Catfish Consumption Without Care
It is known that the causes of chronic diabetes, cancer, stroke, acute shock, and Alzheimer is due to chronic inflammation, omega 3-fatty acid causes underlying inflammation.
Omega-6 fatty acid increases inflammation which makes the body prone to diseases.
The health benefit of catfish is numerous and an alternative to red meats. They can be farmed for household consumption or commercially.
However, the health benefits also has a downside to it when consumed in excess. This should be looked into when preparing and consuming catfish.